Friday, November 13, 2009

This reminds me of my Grandma



I went and spent some time with my Grandma today. As, I was looking around her house I was thinking of all the things that remind me of her.
These are some of the things that come to my mind.

1. Peaches and Toast.
Ever since I can remember Grandma would serve us peaches and toast for breakfast. When she was in Kirtland and Grandpa was still alive, it was her homemade bread and the peaches from her tree that she had canned. We LOVED that breakfast.

2. Playdough
Not the store bought playdough but her famous homemade salt dough. I remember my sister Amber eating it, sometimes until it made her sick.

3. The Magnetic shaving face guy



She always had these at her house. I loved playing with them.

4. Diet Pepsi

I always remember her drinking this.

5. Balloons and bubbles.
She always had these fun things lying around for the kids to play with.

Memories at Grandmas house are full of happiness for me. I love her so much. I am glad I got to spend some time today with her.

8 comments:

Bond Fam said...

Im glad you were able to go and spend some time with her, was Addy good for you on the ride? And I totally remember those shaving guy toys!! I haven't seen those in forever, I loved those things!

Jen and Allen said...

Things that reminde me of Grandma or her house are...
Bucket swings
Bubbles
Ice cream and sugar cones
Roast beef and mashed poetatoes
homemade snow globes
playdough
pecan pie
homemade bread
grapes
Easter
Conference
pop goes the weesel
Water Color coloring books
Hugs
Candy
THE FEELING OF BEING LOVED AS SOON AS YOU COME THROUGH THE DOOR!

Angela said...

I totally am with you on the magnetic guy! I remember Grandma always having that orange juice drink in her fridge. I also remember beads and little activities she had around the house when we would come to visit for the summer.

She still has some of those activities and Arianna was having a fun time with them when we came to visit in October. It took me back to childhood memories.

Good times!

Lori Buhr said...

Thanks, Melanie. I am glad you were able to come. I hope you slept okay. It was sweet to see Jonathan, Haley, and Addy. Mom really perks up when company comes. It is fun to remember all you grand kids playing at Grandma's and how she just loved to have you all there. I remember Grandpa saying that she would let you guys do anything you wanted to, even if you wanted to saw the legs off the kitchen table! I think he was right. It is fun to be a grandma however, hopefully I learned lots of lessons from the best and I can be a good grandma too. Probably not as good as yours however. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Ah don't forget those beads that you could make designs and iron them to stick. Walnuts remind me of G-ma and G-pa, Conference and Easter were things we always did at their house and makes me think of them. Keep adding every one!!!

Amy said...

Ah Mel! I love this post!!

Some of the things that remind me a Grandma and Grandpa - Porch Swing. Climbing Trees. Long walks (Grandpa prided himself on his walking). The Green bath tub that was hard to climb into. Peaches, Toast, Rolls, Jelly, and Cereal. Long, gravel driveways. Beads. Scrapbooks. Old pictures. Simplicity. Love. Courage. Fun. But mostly, Grandma is a constant example to me of happiness. Even when things have been tough, she doesn't let it get her down. AND, she never has a mean or bad thing to say... not ever. Even when she has been sick.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I love reading all my cousins (and aunt) memories of our Grandma.

Some of mine are Rice Chex cereal. Grandma's microphone that she would let us record on. frozen pizza and rootbeer floats. Always knowing she loved me. looking through her picture books. card games and the list can go on and on.

Love you :)

Lindsay Anderson said...

What about smells? My grandma always made her own Laundry soap. Even now, almost 6 years after her death, I have some hankies in a zip-lock bag that every time I open them I am whisked back to my childhood. Roses and home made laundry soap!