Wednesday, March 3, 2010

a bit of ranting

Oh man! Sometimes it is so hard to be a parent. I have all the best intentions to be a good example to them, to try and make sure they know I love them and trust them. It just seems in the past few weeks it has become really hard to the point where I want to just pick up and go hide out for a week or so. I wouldn't do it but sometimes I sure feel like it. I am tired of the same behaviors being exhibited and than the consequences are handed out but it happens again. Yes, I am being vague on purpose to spare embarrassment to some of my children. But, what other things do I do? I feel like a failure. I really keep the mantra in my head "just keep swimming swimming..." over and over again. I try and talk with a soft voice even sometimes through clenched teeth and sometimes I don't speak softly at all but I yell... and than have major guilt when I say my prayers at night.
I love being a mother to my children. I am blessed with 5 beautiful, unique souls. But, man oh man! IT IS SO HARD!!!!! I will be happy if I can just get through this week in one piece.

8 comments:

The Betitas said...

I've heard the book Parenting the Strong Willed Child is really good. I have no idea if it will help you in your current situation but it might be a good read either way.

Bond Fam said...

Hang in there! We all have days where we feel like this and don't worry we all have days where we yell at our kids and then feel bad later. I know I have days like this and I feel like Im gonna go crazy, and I only have 2 kids and no teenagers! The fact that you are stressed and worrying about this shows that you are a great Mom! If you didn't care at all then we would have to worry! :)

Anonymous said...

As an outsider looking in to all moms... I've decided there must be something that happens while pregnant that clicks your brain over to guilty mode. Most moms I talk to say they feel guilty so much. But from my view, you moms are doing amazing! I hope this week goes by quickly for you. Try giving yourself some credit :)

Unknown said...

*hugs* you're a good person and a good mama. If life were easy, it wouldn't be hard. We love ya!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Rach. I think give credit to your self for the things that go right! I think you're a great mom and I know that you'll get through the week!

Lori Buhr said...

Opposition in all things. Kids turn out well in spite of our best parenting. I have found the most important message I can give my kids is that I love them no matter what. My dad used to say there is no defense against love. It will pass, just keep swimming and breathing. You are right when you say you have 5 great kids. Constant consequences are a good thing...it is the way our Heavenly Father parents us. Love you. You're a WONDERFUL mom, daughter, sister, wife, friend. Don't let Satan and discouragement get you down.

Tevye said...

They will give you grandkids some day and then you will be grateful that you let them live!

Maxine said...

I love reading your blog! Hang in there, there is "LIFE" after these kind of weeks.. ... . and you are right, they will be gone before you realize it and even these weeks will be fond memories.
I would have loved to be at Jonathan's party yesterday (Happy Birthday Jon) but Jolynn told me about it AFTER she got home. I miss seeing you once in awhile. Sooo excited for Aubrey. If I don't see her before she leaves, give her a hug and wish her good luck for me! She is special to me.

Love you all