Wednesday, August 17, 2011

this affected me greatly today

I was reading 2 Nephi chapter 4 and it really affected me greatly. Oh my! What an amazing chapter this is. I so can identify with Nephi's feelings here. He is upset because of the weakness of his flesh and giving into sin and temptation. I had such feelings of sadness as I read this because I feel the same way lots of times. I have such a desire to do good but allow my human side to get in the way. I have listed in my mind many things that I want to work on to be better but fall short and I don't do them.
I want to be better at making sure our family is reading our scriptures. I want to be better at exercising. I want to be better about not speaking bad about people who I have chosen to be offended by or thinking bad about them too. I have a great desire to do better and be better. My actions affect so many more people than just myself. I have just got to try and do better today and take it one day at a time.
I love how Nephi says "Awake my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice O my heart and give place no more for the enemy of my soul. Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation."
Those scriptures bring me great peace. It brings hope to me.

3 comments:

Jen and Allen said...

http://jenscripturejournal.blogspot.com/2009/08/chapter-4-and-bom-tools.html
You made me wonder what it was I thought about the last few times I read that chapter. Here is a link to that chapter and my thoughts on it... should you care to read. I love doing my scripture study and recording it on a blog.
I love your sentaments and can really relate.

Suzy said...

I have always loved the "Psalm of Nephi," too. I reread it again today at your suggestion, and it touched me, as well. I am sometimes overwhelmed with feelings of my own inadequacy, and this is always a good scripture for when I am feeling that way. Today, for example I ended up staying home from church because my baby cut her first tooth a couple of days ago, and for some reason this has prompted the top layer of skin to peel off all over her body in a painful rash. My husband and I both forgot our 6 year old was supposed to be giving a scripture in primary, so I was feeling like a very imperfect Mom, today, and this scripture helped. I like the way that when Nephi needed strength, he remembered back to all of the times that God had strengthened and guided him in the past, so that he could use those memories to bolster his faith as he called on God to help him through his present difficulties. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Suzy said...

Follow up: Little Ana was a very sick and miserable baby a week ago, but she is much better now. I took her to the doctor last Monday, and she responded very well to a course of antibiotics on the inside, and thick layers of ointment to protect her tender skin from cracking as it grew back. She still has a few flaky patches, but her skin is completely restored and fully healed. I am very thankful that she is back to being her usually cheerful self.