Wednesday, December 12, 2007

not 18 anymore

Yesterday I refereed 3 games. After the first game, I was feeling great.. no problems. My left knee had been hurting earlier but I was able to do the game pain free. I thought "I can do this." After the second game, which I might add was the mens league game, I was hurting a little bit. My left knee was aching but so was my right. This presented a bit of a problem but I thought I can get through this. By the time I was half way into my third game I did not know if I was going to make it. I thought I was in good shape but, my body was telling me otherwise. The last 5 minutes of the game were hard. Luckily, the men I was reffing were out of shape old guys and they were tired also. So, there was not alot of running those last few minutes. Mostly, lots of 3 point tries. Well, I did survive. I am very sore this morning and my right knee is throbbing.... The lesson I have learned is sadly I am not 18 anymore. As much as I wish I was physically, I am not. I have 2 more games this week lets hope my poor body will cooperate.

But, it was not to bad refereeing all those men. We did throw one guy out of the first game for bad mouthing and I did have a guy get up in my face on the second game which I did tell him very sternly "get out of my face or you will not play anymore." If they get one technical foul they have to leave the building. He was not happy about that and later apologized to me for his behavior. But, for the most part being a woman played to my advantage. Most of the men were respectful.

3 comments:

Rick...the meek and mild said...

Have you heard some of your dad's stories? I still can't figure the Jekl?Hyde correlation with us men and sports. Nicest people around in a normal setting but get us competing and LOOKOUT!!! Of course I have always been a perfect gentleman no matter where I've been...(fingers crossed)
Good luck with the season

Sara said...

I'm glad that you had only a limited number of incidents!!!

Amy said...

Way to go!!!! That is so awesome!! (The referring part, not the hurt knee part). I admire anyone who can stand their ground.