Monday, May 24, 2010

My grandma



I went and visited my grandma yesterday. It was a bittersweet visit. I know that it was probably my last one with her while she is on this earth. I went and sat by her bedside and held her hand. The first thing she said to me was " oh your hands are cold." she than grabbed both of my hands and put them in between hers so she could warm them up. That small act of love is what my grandmother has always been about, thinking of others. She is such an example of what Jesus Christ taught. How blessed I am to have her as my grandma.


She played pat a cake with Adalyn and sang pop goes the weasel. We all sang if you're happy and you know it.
She seemed to wear out fast. I just held her hand and stared at her beautiful face while she slept. I love this woman so much. My heart filled with gratitude for being blessed enough to be her granddaughter, to be taught so many great lessons by her example throughout my life. While she will be missed here, I am thankful for the knowledge that I know she will be with my grandpa, dad, brother Joel, and so many other loved ones that have passed on. What a great reunion that will be..

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's wonderful that you had the chance to see her and be with her. I love the first picture of her hand covering yours. What a sweet memory.

Mel and Angus said...

What a lovely post. She is blessed to have you for a granddaughter too!

Amy said...

That is a precious picture of her hands. It is funny how many memories are brought back to me just by looking at her hands.

I am glad you were able to go up and be with her. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melanie for coming out. She loves to see people. Thanks foe the meat balls too they were wonderful. What was the rice type stuff? I liked it!

Lori Buhr said...

I am wearing her rings now and they remind me of her hands, her life and her kindness. Here's hoping we can all be more like her and then more like Christ like Ron talked about.