Thursday, July 24, 2008

One of my greatest loves

I love to read... I think I always have. I remember in fourth grade my mom bought me the Nancy Drew series. I read them all. I still remember my favorite being "The Hidden Staircase." I remember wanting to find some secret room or staircase in my home that would take me to some hidden treasure or room where no one could find me.
My love for reading has just grown. My time is not what it used to be when I was a youth. I don't have hours and hours to just sit and read but, when I do have a moment of spare time, this is what I love to do. I want to share something from the latest book that I am reading. It is a book called "The Power is Within You" I only share these things because for me at this moment it is exactly what rang the loudest for me. I know it is for me right now.

"Only you can change the way that you think and feel and act. I'm just saying that you can. YOU definitely can because you have a higher power within you that can help break you free. You can remind yourself that when you were a little baby, you loved yourself for who you were. There is not one little baby who criticizes its body and thinks "Oh, my hips are to big." Babies are thrilled and delighted just because they have bodies. They express their feelings. When a baby is happy, you know it, and when a baby is angry, everyone knows it. They are never afraid to let people know how they feel. They live in the moment. You were like that once. As you grew up, you listened to people around you, and learned about fear and guilt and criticism. We need to re-establish the wonderful innocence of life and the moment-by-moment joy of existence, the same joy that a baby feels in its blissful state of wonder."


PHEW!! I know that is a lot. But, I thought it was so amazing. The whole book is this way. I love reading and learning new things. Books are amazing.

3 comments:

The Betitas said...

Thanks for posting that! Sometimes we have gone so far from that concept that it is hard to even imagine what it means to do what she is describing!

The Betitas said...

P.S I loved Nancy Drew too!

Bond Fam said...

What a good thought, its so true! I love books too, I love to just sit and read. And I was like you, I used to read Nancy Drew ALL the time, and The Hidden Staircase was my favorite too! I always wanted to find a secret passageway!