Friday, November 7, 2008

things you may not know about me

I have actually been tagged for two different things. I will post one today and one tomorrow. My friend Chanel tagged me about 6 things that you may not know about me.

1. I have a phobia of large crowds. I am not sure when this started but I realized how bad it was when I enrolled in college for the first time. Just thinking of going to school with so many people gave me anxiety. I purposely enrolled mostly in evening classes as to avoid the larger crowds. There was a class that I enrolled in that had about 200 people in it. I made it through a couple of weeks before I dropped it and elected to take it online instead. I love sporting events but have a hard time going because of the crowds. The same with concerts. I try to analyze what it is all about but come up empty handed with that one.

2. If I am not good at something or don't think I will be, than I just am not interested. I know this is very limiting. For instance, Jonathan likes to bowl. I really stink at it. So, I don't want to bowl. I don't enjoy going bowling. I am a competitive person and if I think that I can't win, than I won't try. This is something that I would like to work on though. I feel like I have gotten better as I have gotten older. I am not as rigid as I used to be.

3. I love to read. I have atleast 4 or 5 book that I am reading at once. I go through phases though. Right now I am in a phase of self-help books. How can I improve myself? How can I improve my relationships? and everything else in between that is good for me. I miss the time I once had for reading though. When I was young I remember spending hours reading. I loved all the Nancy Drew books and wanted more than anything to find a hidden staircase or secret room.. When I was a teenager I read all the Dean R. Koontz books. I was always reading. I really have a love for learning.

4. I love to try new and unique foods. I will try anything atleast once. My two favorite foods are Thai food, really anything Thai and Sushi. A good Unagi sushi roll, when prepared right, is just a bit of heaven. All of my children love these things too so I am glad that my taste for unique food has rubbed off on them a bit.

5. I have a gift to recognize truth. When something is true, it just resonates in me very strong. So much so, that I do everything in my power to find out about it, study it, teach it and speak about it. I want others to know what I have learned. But, I have learned to be very careful with my words. I have learned that we all learn different things at different times in our lives. I believe that I will know when and who to share these truths with.

6. Before I referee a game of basketball, I have got to talk myself into doing it. I get great anxiety when I think to much about it. I have to tell myself over and over again that "I am an amazing referee." The idea of people scrutinizing my every call is sometimes overwhelming. Last season I did pretty good. I only backed out of two games because my fear really became paralyzing. After the game is over and I know that I did a great job, than the feeling is exhilirating. I think "why was I even worried?" Than, the next games comes and I do it all over again.

WOW! that was so hard.. Now, maybe you know a little bit more about me.

Now I tag Amber, Kristy and Amy O.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh no! Why in the world did you tag me?...haha!!!

I loved reading about you! You are an incredible, amazing person.... one of my great heros and one of my best friends!

Love you!

Unknown said...

This was a great post! I really enjoyed it. I can relate to you with #4. I love love LOVE to read! I like #5 too that's a great quality!

Brooke said...

Mel, you are an aspiring person to me. This may sound crazy since you are my cousin, but I don't feel like I know you very well. What I do know, is that I am getting to know you through your blog. I have been very impressed with you. You and I had a conversation at Kristy's house after church and I felt your passion and love for life in that conversation.

Katie said...

Very interesting facts about Melanie! :)

I'm with you - if I can't do something perfectly, I don't even want to do it at all!

Amber said...

I agree with #4. I love those foods too. You are the one who showed me the wonderful world of sushi... THank U! I am happy to say that I knew all of these things about you though ;)

Chanel said...

Awesome- I loved it. I love Thai and Sushi too. If I go to Utah you have to take me to your favs, and if you come to Dallas I will take you to mine:) It is funny how many things and feelings we have in common.