Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thankful to be a visiting teacher

Throughout my married life, I have had a hard time with being a visiting teacher. I have not ever gained a testimony of it. I really did not see the importance of it. I have had a hard time making new friends and opening up to people that I just didn't know. I must say that I have  had a bad attitude about it all. Than, I would feel guilty every month for only putting half effort out there and would sometimes find myself dodging the district supervisors call. I just did not want to report once again of my failure to come through. 

When we moved to this new ward, I decided that it was time that I change my attitude, the way I think about it and approach it. The ladies that I had been assigned to were all women I had never met before. I was scared. I did not know them and they did not know me. But, I was going to overcome my fear and make friends with them. After all, isn't that what most of us want anyway a friend? So tonight I finished up all my visiting teaching. It ended up being a great experience. My companion could not go. So, I took Haylee as my companion. She helped break the ice too. 
The message that I gave was one that I needed to hear, especially because of the recent death of my dad. I love our prophet and his inspired words.. So, I will leave you with his words.
  
Stresses in our lives come regardless of our circumstances. We must deal with them the best we can. But we should not let them get in the way of what is most important—and what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. Wrote William Shakespeare, “They do not love that do not show their love.” We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us.
Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.” Said author Harriet Beecher Stowe, “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.”


Thank you for being in my life, either through allowing me to read your blog or spend time with you or  talking to me on the phone. I love my family and Friends. You truly do enrich my life!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for that Melanie. I too have always struggled with visiting teaching. I have struggled with letting visiting teachers come and I have struggled with doing my visiting teaching. So I appreciate your positive attitude and the message your shared. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

wow. Mel I really appreciate this post. Thank you :)

Chanel said...

I love that Melanie. I love keeping up with you too. i don't know why you would be afraid to make a friend. You have ALWAYS been a wonderful person and have only gotten better with age.

Lori Buhr said...

I chose that same message for my VT lesson. I just hate getting on the phone to make an appointment. I would rather teach the lesson every month than talk on the phone. Thanks for the reminder that a good visiting teacher is more like a friend. Love you and learn from you all the time.

Anonymous said...

Good for you getting out there and accepting the challenge. I have a kind of similar experience but the other way around. I have never appreciated or let them serve me. However, at this time in my life being a sick mom with a busy toddler, a miscarriage and a load on my plate, I finally called them up and asked for help. The love and service and friendship that we've developed has been amazing. (and they are swimming in blessings!!) A win, win situation. God bless visiting teachers and may I be the type of visiting teacher that the sisters I visit will bless and appreciate! Thanks Mel

Mel and Angus said...

Loved the blog. Actually it sounds an awful lot like me! (The visiting teaching part!