Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Love, Hate relationship


Do you have one of those things in your life that you love and hate? Maybe hate is to strong of a word but something that you dislike at times? As of lately mine is refereeing basketball. The season is winding down and I have been refereeing about 4 games a week. Now when I am there, I love doing it. I love almost everything about it. I love that for an hour and a half a day I am just a referee. I can shut everything out of my mind and concentrate on officiating the game, especially when I feel I have done a good job. I love the exercise that comes with it. I love the teaching moments for the 7th and 8th grade kids. So, why do I have times of dislike? Because, I get anxiety before the game, worried about the coaches and the fans. I worry about making good calls and almost talk myself out of going. It usually starts the night before, depending on what game I am doing. Boys games are harder than girls because of the fans and coaches. The game itself is actually easier to referee. There has been one time this season that I just called in sick because my anxiety was so bad. But, when I get to the game and I start it, everything is great! It is a fear that I deal with every time I referee high school games. I hope that it will get easier as the years progress, that I become more confident in my abilities. I remember feeling this same way in high school before a track meet or a basketball game. I only have 2 weeks left in the season. I am both relieved and sad..... There are many more reasons why I love it and will return to doing it next year but I REALLY want to get over the anxiety thing..

3 comments:

Bond Fam said...

Sometimes its just a matter of learning to believe in yourself, which is hard to do sometimes. Especially when you have to do something in front of other people where you are being criticized and watched, but you just have to tell yourself that you can do it! Something that works for me with nerves is to listen to music right before, and I mean happy music, and in your case maybe music that gets you in game mode, and maybe that will loosen up your nerves a bit.

Lori Buhr said...

These same fears are why I got my scuba diving certificate. I am beyond afraid of the water. Ron and I inherited the same gene for that, but I HAD to make myself do it or I would have been frozen by the fear. I am teaching my second grade class the phrase, "I can do hard things!" I think that it is a poweful thought.

Tevye said...

I always loved the feeling of power when umpiring - it was like being a tyrant or a dictator - judge, jury, and hangman all wrapped up in one...ooooo, I just love that feeling of power!