Saturday, September 13, 2008

Welcome to the neighborhood.

So, we have now been in our new home for one week. Well, tonight we were all sitting in the kitchen. Off of my kitchen, we have a deck which overlooks a park. We heard a loud crash. It sounded like my deck was coming off of the house. I ran out on the deck not realizing that the screen has been pulled shut and knocked it off the tracks. The deck seemed fine but, it was just getting dark and I could see what looked like a headlight in the grass at the park about 40 yards away from me. Jonathan yells "call 911" and sprints out the front door. I called 911 but did not have much information to give them. I could tell it was a motorcycle in the grass and it looked like there was a man laying in the road. That is what I told her but she wanted more information. I made my way over to the man and he looked bad. He had no helmet on and Jonathan was trying to ask him questions but he spoke very little English. (these are times when I really wish I spoke more spanish.) He was bleeding from the head and that is what I told the dispatch. Four policeman showed up right away but it seemed like forever before the ambulance came.

On further inspection we could see that he skidded off the road onto our lawn and hit a power box. His motorcycle flew forward about 50 feet but he flew another 40 feet. It was nuts. Anyway, the ambulance came and luckily one of our neighbors spoke fluent spanish and was able to speak with him and find out if he had an allergies or had been drinking. It was quite an experience.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Life is so fragile!

Amy said...

That is crazy! Seems like there are more motorcycle accidents these days. There was a guy at my work who just died from a motorcycle accident. So very sad.

Please keep us posted if you hear anymore news.

Bond Fam said...

Its kinda ironic, I was sitting at the light by Burger King and all these cops came flying by. Everyone had to stop for them and let them through. So I thought to myself "hmm that looks like its headed for Jon, Mel, and Jen and Darin's neighborhood. And I wondered to myself if they were responding to anyone I knew, but I thought, NAH your just being silly. But I called Jen anyway to make sure that all was peaceful in your neighborhood. Jen told me she hadnt heard anything, but like 10 minutes later Darin called me back and said that the cops were all over by your house, and he told me what was going on. I was just glad to hear that none of you guys were hurt!

Vanessa said...

Oh my gosh what an ordeal... that sounds like something you would see on TV!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I was tense through that whole story. I'm so glad your family is all ok.

Also the comment "from Jerin" made me laugh so hard! i thought for a minute... Jerin?! really! haha Love you :)

Brooke said...

Oh my goodness. Welcome to the neighborhood. J/K Is the guy okay? Is he even a neighbor? That is scary. Way to take charge and get him taken care of.

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

Too bad you didn't have a video camera rolling, that has "Worst Worst Driving Accidents" written all over it. Glad no one came crashing into your new house or anything.

Katie said...

That's a story worth blogging about! Yikes!

Lori Buhr said...

I remember when Roberta got married and we came and stayed with your mom and dad (circa 1973). I kept having this feeling that something bad was going to happen and I kept telling Roberta over and over about my feeling and she finally told me to quit it that I was freaking her out. The wedding went well, then late that night some guy who was high came around the corner and totally smashed Grandma and Grandpa's car that was parked on the street in front of your house. I was able to say, "I told you something bad was going to happen." We all came running out of the house in our P. J.'s and he was laying on the grass in the front yard and he said, "Hey man...What happened?" We got an extended vacation and came home with a new car.