Friday, September 26, 2008

Private and Home Schooling

The first month of our change in schooling has now past. This is the first time that all 4 of my children have not been in public schools. Although, Aubrey does go part time to Springville high school for a seminary class and an Art class.
Aubrey and Devin absolutely love Glen J. Kimber academy. I was very excited to put them in it but not so excited about the 30 minute drive to get them there. It has been well worth the time driving to see them so excited about learning. Devin absolutely hated school before. He dreaded going everyday. Now, he LOVES it. They share with me everyday what they are learning. They are learning things that I do not remember learning about. They are able to pray and sing hymns and have scripture study in school. I wanted more than anything for my childrens teachings to be centered around the teachings of Jesus Christ. This was the biggest reason why I chose to pull them out and try and find something different for them. I love it... Plus, they are taught by the most amazing teacher, a man that has taught for more than 30 years, Dr. Glen Kimber.

Jerin and Haylee are both doing home school. Although, Jerin's program is a bit different from Haylee's. I talked with a woman that has been homeschooling for awhile and she suggested that I start Jerin in a new program for homeschooling kids. It is actually like a COOP program, meaning that 13 kids get together and have classes together. The ages range from 9 to 12 and the kids learn at their own pace, which works well for Jerin because he learns very fast and can now move on when he is ready rather than waiting.

Haylee loves that I am her teacher. My neighbor also homeschools her daughter who is Haylee's age so they are able to do Math together. I do reading, writing and spelling. The lessons go very fast. She also does a Friday program with other homeschoolers at a school in Salem. She is taking Dance, Spanish, Piano, Music and story time. Jerin is also doing the Friday program.

All in all it has been great. I was very nervous to take this step but I am glad that I did. I am busier than I have ever been. It has taken some getting used to but I know that change really can be a good thing.

6 comments:

Katie said...

I admire your choice so much! It sounds like things are going amazingly well and that all your children are learning at their own pace and enjoying it!

Abby said...

You are amazing Melanie! I am sure that was a huge decision to make. I am glad it has been so positive and good for your kids.

Those programs sound so ideal. I wish we had something like that in Colorado.

Your kids are lucky to have such an awesome Mom!

Unknown said...

Hey I just wanted to say that I really like you're blog. The fall look is really cute! I know we don't really know each other very well, but we're cousins. I know...you have tons from the Bond side! Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and that I think it's really neat how you're going about your kids education. It's probably not the easiest path, but I think it'll be worth it.
I'll have to invite you first, but feel free to stop by my blog if you'd like.
Kelsey

melanie said...

Hey, Kelsey.. Thanks for your comment. I would love to read your blog and get to know you better. My email address is melaniebond006@gmail

Tevye said...

The choices that one parent makes for their children may not work for another family. Don't be afraid to make the choices for your family that you feel are best regardless of what the world around you is telling you. In the end you realize that they are your children and not somebody else's. If you put the work into your decisions you will almost always get the right answer. I am not sure if you have experienced it, in this situation, but it is interesting to me how hostile some people can get about decisions parents make for their own children. This sounds like a very positive situation - don't let anyone talk you out of what you think is right for your family.

Amy said...

Way to go Melanie!!! I am very glad to hear things are going well! You are an incredible mother!

It was great to see you and your family last night!