Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My daughter the driver

Tomorrow is the last day of Drivers ed. for Aubrey. I am very glad only for the reason that I would get up with her at 5:45 so that I could have her out the door and to drivers ed. by 6:00. Now for some reason the idea of her driving by herself really scares me. We have been driving together for sometime now. She drives home everyday from Lehi on the freeway and does a fairly good job. It does make me nervous though. I find myself clenching onto the passenger door getting ready to grab the wheel at any time. I have to remind myself to relax and that she will do a better job if I show confidence in her abilities.
Early on in her first experiences of driving, she had an accident. Luckily, it was just in our garage and in only wrecked some of the shelving and my front bumper. It scared me and scared her. It was a very cliche moment. She pulled into the garage nice and slow, did a great job and went to put on the brake, got confused and stepped on the gas. This was the result..
I am glad it did not scare her away from driving. But, when she pulls into the driveway I am always a bit nervous. So, I know that practice makes perfect. But, I still feel my heart racing every time she gets behind the wheel.

9 comments:

Bond Fam said...

Yeah Im sure thats a natural feeling when your teenager is behind the wheel! I bet she is so excited about being able to drive on her own soon!

Chanel said...

Oh my gosh- I am not ready for that. It is going to take me at least the full 2 years I have left to calm myself down enough to deal with a teen driver (I guess it is because I know how CRAZY I was behind the wheel)!

Anonymous said...

ahhhh how did our parents do it?! I cant believe she is old enough to drive. what a weird thought... Although you were probably thinking that when i started driving too! haha

Katie said...

I cannot even fathom the anxiety you must be feeling ...

But - I've been driving for almost 11 years now, and I ran into our fence today. Twice. Ehhh. She's probably a better driver than me! Maybe you get worse over time, not better. Haha.

Vanessa said...

Melanie she is seriously so pretty...WOW!!! This must be a bitter sweet moment in time for you! Your baby is growing up.

Shaylin said...

I love your new blog Melanie! Its way way cute!

Lori Buhr said...

I was riding home from school with a boy friend who decided to scare me by revving the engine in the driveway. He thought he was in neutral...he was in drive. He totally smashed the garage door of the Farmington house on Camino Rio. Then he paid the price, he had to deal with my mad dad. Grandpa was never very impressed with him after that and called him Hercamer. Funny memory, go Aubrey! But go carefully!

Brooke said...

Oh wow! Go Aubrey. With every thing in life, something is learned. I am glad that she is not affraid to get behind the wheel. Two thumbs up for her. Now for you Mel, way to go. I can see myself being nervous for Bryn if her and I were in your shoes. I agree with you about having confidence in her. What you put out is what you will get back.

Tevye said...

Teenage drivers - another something that you can laugh about.....in the future. I think every new driver has to have a mishap or two or three before they get the hang of it. If they can make up their mind to be careful then their mishaps are small ones and not life-changing ones. Tell Aubrey to be careful and to keep at it.