Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Are we creators of our own world?

I have been pondering about some things for awhile and would love true feedback. Actually, I think I have been studying this for about a year now through various books. Are we creators of our own world? My belief is YES! we are, whatever it may be...

There are so many amazing books that I have read lately, people that I have run into that help me to see this truth.
One of my most favorite scriptures is "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he” ( Prov. 23:7) Henry David Thoreau sustained that concept when he said "that a man becomes what he thinks about all day long." In my mind, what I focus on becomes my reality. Do I focus on the things that I do not want and therefore attract them into my life? One of my favorite books on this subject is a small , fast read called "As a man thinketh." by James Allen. There are so many amazing quotes in there. Here is one of my favorites.
“In the armoury of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself; he also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace. … Between these two extremes are all the grades of character, and man is their maker and master. … Man is the master of thought, the moulder of character, and the maker and shaper of condition, environment, and destiny”

Here is another great one from a talk given by Gordon B. Hinckley
"The acceptance of the gospel of Jesus Christ is affected by attitude. William James, a famous author and psychologist, wrote, “The greatest discovery of my age is that men can change their circumstances by changing the attitude of their minds.”

I have been feasting on this subject for awhile and realize it is lots of food for thought.. I would be very interested in your views on this subject and why you have them.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I loved your post. I completely agree with what we think... that is what we become. It seems that when I set my mind on something, and if I really believe I can accomplish it, I usually can. Several years ago I went to a self-help class. In this class they gave us several examples of getting goals and achieving them. At that time, I set several big goals for myself. One of the biggest goals was finding a good job and supporting my family. My mind was set on this goal. I looked at it everyday. It was in my thoughts constantly. Only a few months later I got my job at Novell. It was a blessing! I have applied the tools I used in that class for several other things in my life and I truly believe that once we begin thinking... that is what is on our minds and we do what we need to do to get there. This can work positively and negatively... in if we think something negative, and we think of it often, it tends to happen.
Anyway... my goal is to think positively, keep my goals in mind, write them down, and work towards them. It isn't easy sometimes, but I honestly believe it is true.

Bond Fam said...

I believe that this is true also. It seems that when I am upset or stressed about something it is because of my attitude, for example if I am upset because someone was mean to me or hurt my feelings, then it is really the fact that I CHOSE to be upset, not that the other person made me upset. It is all about our choices, and if we decide that we are going to let certain things bug us or not. Attitude truly is everything.

Lori Buhr said...

I have a couple of thoughts that have been posted in my bedroom for several years now. I try to read them every morning to start out the day in a positive way. I will share them. "This is the beginning of a new day. God has given me this day to use as I will. I can waste it or use it for good. But what I do today is important, because I am exchanging a day of my life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place something I have traded for it. I want it to be gain and not loss, good and not evil, success and not failure, in order that I shall not regret the price that I have paid for it." The second quote is about change and commitment. "Until one is committed there is desitance, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation) there is one elementary truth, the ignormance of which kills countless ideans and slpended plans; That the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have drempt would have come his way. I have learned a ddp respect for one of Goethe's couplets: 'Whatever you can do, or dream, you can-begin-it boldness has genius, power and magic in it'." W. N. Murray The Scottish Himalalyan Expedition 1951. Sorry for such a long post, but I love these two ideas so much! I love you too.