Sunday, January 13, 2008

Old Home Videos

So today for a fun Sunday event we took out the old home videos. First we watched one from 1985. It was "The Dean Family Reunion." It was all done at Grandma's house. Everyone was there. It was so good to see how we all looked so many years ago, how silly my dad was. How silly my uncles were. It was good to see grandpa and grandma together. There were so many great things about it. My aunt Roberta was on there. She had such a great sense of humor. So I thought why do we not do this more? I know that the family has grown by leaps and bounds but I would love to be able to get together for a family home evening or something. I would love to hear and record stories of Grandma's mission or her life with grandpa... Things that really are important to our family and stories that we can pass on through the generations. So, what do you think family? If I planned a big FHE, do you think it would work?

6 comments:

Rick...the meek and mild said...

I think it would work!! The stories I've been putting out to you all in my blog are my attempts to let you know the stories of our household in younger days. Thanks for your comments, I think you probably did have better brothers than we were

The Betitas said...

I think it would be a shame if you didn't do it Mel. Really, I know people are busy but while grandma is still around! What a great opportunity to get everyone together and record stories. You were probably prompted to do it!!!!

Sara said...

I think it's a great idea! I was thinking the other day how great it would be if we could do a family reunion since we haven't had one in a long, long time!

Amy said...

I remember that video... oh my! Did Joel and Dan find a cat and name it some completely gross name?

I am all for the video get together. Any reason to get to together with family is a good reason!

Lori Buhr said...

That would be great! Holidays seem to work best for me, but whenever you plan to do it I will do my best to make it. Of course you are always welcome to come here where Grandma is. A few years ago there was an article in the Ensign by President Packer about how to interview your older relatives, questions to ask, etc. We did this with Grandpa before he got sick. Patrick tape recorded it. I wonder if I still have those tape. We did it a couple of Sundays a month for awhile. We found the best thing to do was to type out our questions a few days in advance and let him look them over so that he could think about them. This produced the best results as he sometimes couldn't remember things if we just asked on the spur of the moment. I'll help however I can. A BIG reunion would be fun sometime this summer. Love you all!

Jon Bond said...

That is a fabulous idea!!