Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Grandma Dean


I have been thinking alot about my grandma lately. She has been such a great influence in my life. I remember going to her house in Kirtland and playing with the homemade play dough that she always kept around. It had such a distinct smell of salt. Sometimes we ate a little bit of it. My sister Amber always seemed to eat more than she should have.
When I married and moved away, we would come visit and stay with her. For breakfast we always had her canned peaches and her bread that was always homemade. She liked to toast the bread, a little dark for my taste but that was the way she liked it. My kids would call her the grandma with the yummy peaches and bread.
I went and visited her a few months ago. She played pass the balloons with Haylee and Jerin for an hour. They love her as much as I do. I am so thankful that they are able to have memories of their great grandma.
So, I want to pay tribute to her. On June 7th I want to record her thoughts on video. We are having a Dean family get together on that day at Aunt Lori's house at 5:00. If you have any questions or stories you would like to capture on video, email them to Lori so she can give them to grandma ahead of time. It will give her time to think about them. I am so excited to do this.

This is the family at the last get together at Aunt Lori's house. It has already grown quite a bit in just a few years. I know this will be so successful...

9 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for putting something like this together!!! I love spending time with family and I am anxious to see everyone again. Me, Niel and Megan will be there!!

Bond Fam said...

I agree your grandma is such an amazing and sweet person. She was always so nice to me.

Katie said...

What a wonderful idea! I will be there with the kids - excited to see everyone.

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

I guess I never knew that was your grandma! or that you were cousins to the Deans who used to be in 2nd ward (you know the Dean family with all the cute little blond girls!)
Wow, small world!

melanie said...

Yes, my cousins were the cute Dean girls. In fact, Ron and Diana were best friends with Richard and Valerie. I have some funny stories about that. You are right small world!

Jo Romero said...

Soda Pop, well that was just a small part of the big picture! I always loved to talk in code! We had nick names for everyone! There was hash browns, bacon, eggs, juice, chip...(that was the food kick! Then there was woodstock, ice, clubs, etc... I know phyco, but hecka fun! No special reason for soda pop, just part of the food fun (that I can remember..you can ask kristen though, she might remember)

Maggie said...

Hey Melanie, we set our blog as private. Send me your email address and I'll put you on our list. Our email is shtomkajish@hotmail.com.
Maggie

Anonymous said...

I will do my best to be there with Savannah, Jimmy is probably going to have to work :( I's gonna be soooo much fun to see every one!

Brooke said...

YEAH! I did not know that it was at 5:00. I thought that it was earlier on in the day and I have hair and dance stuff. Now that I know that it is at 5:00, I am cancelling hair appointments!! Thanks for planning this Mel!!