Monday, May 12, 2008

My daughter, the driver...

I took Aubrey to get her permit today. The laws in Utah are that she has to have her permit for 6 months, have so many driving hours, and take the drivers education course before she can get her actual drivers license. She is totally bummed out by this because she really wanted to be able to drive by her 16th birthday in July. I remember how easy it was to get my license in New Mexico. I turned 16, went down and took the written test, and than the driving test. I purposely went to Bloomfield because the rumor was the test was much easier down there. I was in our brown van and passed with flying colors. Now, that I am an adult and have a teenager that is about to drive, I am glad for all the new laws. Aubrey needs as much practice as she can get..... and so it begins.

5 comments:

Bond Fam said...

Yay for Aubrey, tell her I said Happy Driving!! Oh and when I got my drivers license I had to do all the stuff Aubrey has to do, the NM law changed the year I started Drivers ed, so I had to go through all of that too. And then I also had to have a restricted license for a year after that. So I was 17 by the time I got my real full license, so tell her I feel her pain, but I must admit that I was probably a more responsible driver because of all that I had to go through to get it, so I can also see the wisdom in the law :) .

Amy said...

Crazy! I can't believe she will be driving so soon. To me, she is still that little 13 year old wanting to babysit. She is growing up so quickly!

Can't wait to see some of your blogs on her driving experiences....smile!

Brooke said...

And so it begins. How exciting for Aubrey! How are you feeling about this Mel? I remember when I finally got my license. What a day that was...I can't believe how fast Aubrey has grown up. Why does the time just fly? I am looking forward to Aubrey's driving stories. YEAH!!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear...

Tevye said...

tell Aubrey to avoid the demolition derby style of driving. Good luck to you and Jonathan and the parental nerves of having teenage drivers!