Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Dad October 18, 1947 to October 21, 2008



Can this be real? Am I writing that my father is no longer with us?
Last night at 9:00 I got a call from my sister Lindsey who had been contacted by the highway patrol to tell her that my dad had been in a bad motorcycle accident. That he was unconscious and taken to a hospital in Scottsdale. They found her number on his cell phone and so they called her first. She than called me and with Amber's help we tried to find out exactly what hospital he was at. We were able to find him and talk to his Doctor. He told us that he had severe head trauma and that he was very critical and it did not look good. At 11:00, they called Amber back and told her that they could not stop the bleeding in his head and that they were stopping all blood transfusions. We got the call at 11:57 that he had passed away.

I am very blessed in that I was able to talk to him the day before. We had a really great conversation in that he told me how very proud of me he was and how much he loved me and I was able to do the same. After going over that conversation in my head, if I knew it was the last conversation that I ever had with my dad, I would not of changed a thing. When I got off the phone with him, I said I love you and have a great week!

We know that he wanted to be buried in Mancos, Colorado, where he grew up. I will post more information when I know.

17 comments:

The Betitas said...

Im so glad you got to talk to him. I also feel so blessed that I was able to go see him in his home in Mesa and visit with him for awhile just recently. I do not want to believe that he is gone! I can't believe it.

Unknown said...

Melanie-

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart and my prayers are with you and your family at this time. You know that if you ever need anything you need only say the word.

If you have need to be here in Phoenix, you are welcome to stay at my home. Please give me a call if you need anything - 602-882-6355.

Angela

Abby said...

Oh Melanie...how tragic! I am so very sorry for your great loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Bond Fam said...

Im so very sorry for you loss! If you need help with anything please let us know!

Keri said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. My heart is aching for you. You & your family will be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Melanie, I Love you and your family and am just wishing I could give you and your kiddos a big hug. The best I can do is pray till some one lets me know what more I can do.

Chanel said...

Melanie,
I am so, so sorry to hear about your loss. You will be in my prayers. I am so glad that you had such a wonderful conversation to close this chapter of his life on. I know you will treasure it throughout yours. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. - Chanel

Vanessa said...

Melanie I am so sorry...I don't even know what else to say.

Amy said...

Mel.... I can't even find the words to express my feelings. So many different emotions and thoughts.

Please know we are thinking of you and your family. We will do anything we can.... for you or your siblings. Please, please let me know what we can do.

I love you so much! I love the relationship we have built those the past several years.

I am very glad you were able to have such an good conversation with your dad a few days ago.... that must be very comforting.

I keep wondering what his reunion was like with Joel, Grandpa, Dennis and Roberta. So bitter sweet! I am very grateful for the gospel and Heavenly Father's plan that families can be together forever.

Your thoughts and prayers are with you, Adrian, and your family. We send our love.

Jo Romero said...

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Mel-

My heart hurts for all of you guys. I love you and I'm glad also glad you got to talk to him.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Melanie! My prayers are with you and your family during this hard time.

Justine said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your families loss. I can honestly say I know how you feel in some ways. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Our family loves your whole family and we feel blessed to know you guys. With Love, Justine and Josh and family

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
I think I could just say ditto to all the previous comments. I am so very sorry for you loss. I wish you and your siblings all the best. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Kristen

Audrie said...

Melanie, I am so sorry for your loss. That is the phone call that every person dreads. You and your family will be in our prayers!!

Unknown said...

*hugs* I hope you and your family are well. Sending you love and prayers....

Mel and Angus said...

Melanie, I know that this will be a hard time for you and your family. I pray the Lord may bless and comfort you. How wonderful to have such a great "final conversation" and one that is so positive. May we all be so lucky when our loved one pass.

Lamar & Melanie